Monday, September 28, 2015

Minature Football Field

A little over a year ago I was at the Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. In a somewhat related note, Canton is also the home and burial place of President William McKinley. The inside of the hall was awesome. But outside had a miniature artificial turf football field!! I think it was 40 yards long. For the most part, my use of my lawn consists of watering it and mowing it. I thought how awesome it would be to turn it into something like that. I figured that could be kind of expensive. I looked online and there was and ad for 10x10 feet of artificial turf for $95. Maybe its doable after all. At the very least, it makes for a cool math problem.

Suppose I want a field of 30 yards. If you are just messing around with folks you don't want to be running 100 yards to score. I don't know if my yard is 30 yards long, but let's say it is. Now, how wide should it be? The real deal is 53 1/3 yards. So mine should be the solution to

100 : 53 1/3 = 30 : x

It actually works out cleaner solving it with fractions. Anyway, x = 16 yards.

For the area, I have 30x16 = 480 square yards. However, I need this in square feet. There are 9 square feet in a yard, so 480x9 = 4,320 square feet. This could get a little expensive.

The cost, y would be found with 100 : 95 = 4,320 : y

So, y = $4,104. Also, I would have to somehow get yard markers, etc painted it. Still, it might be worth it.

Below is a picture of the field in Canton. (Hard to get a good picture from ground level.)