Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Measuring Marajuana

I heard on the radio that someone was arrested that had 127 pounds of marijuana in his car. I wondered if that was even possible. Of the little I know about it, it is really light, so 127 pounds worth would probably take up a lot of space.

So what might that look like? Would it fill a shoe box? A trunk? The entire car?

Note: If you do this exploration with your math class, you probably need to be careful in how you frame this. If you present this as doing this as research as a member of law enforcement, you should be fine.

Anyway, I started my quest by going on-line. I found some websites that seemed to be in the know. The first person I read about had pretty much my same question regarding the relationship between volume and weight of marijuana.

His was a short post - about five sentences. I counted 48 typos. Not good, - e.g. "i duno wher im goin. somone help me out tho is there a way i cud mesure cannabis with a mesuring cup". I say about 5 sentences because punctuation did not seem to be his strong suit. On the plus side, he does know how to correctly spell cannabis.

A lot of people said this all depends on a number of different factors. I'm sure it does, but all I'm looking for is an estimation. One said an ounce is about a ziplock bag full. Another said he got an ounce that was about 3"x 3"x 2". They seemed like they were in the same ballpark, so lets go with that.

  • So, a one ounce weight is 3"x 3"x 2" = 18 cubic inches.
  • There are 16 ounces in a pound, so 1 pound is (16x18 =) 288 cubic inches
  • 127 pounds must be (127x288 =) 36,576 cubic inches
  • This would be easier for me to picture in cubic feet. There are 12x12x12 = 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot, so  36,576 / 1728 = 21.17 cubic feet.
  • The cube root of our answer is 2.8
So a box that is 2.8 feet on each side would hold this guy's marijuana. So you might be able to get that in your trunk. It certainly fits in the back seat of your car, with plenty of room left over for your other crime paraphernalia. But I don't know if you want that in your back seat. Maybe it didn't fit in his trunk, so he put it in plain sight in his back seat and that is what caused him to make the news.