Monday, September 12, 2016

Trapezoids

I always had a bit of a tough time finding examples of trapezoid applications out there in the real world. There are a few, but certainly not as easy as finding shapes such as circles, rectangles, triangles, squares, ... I thought I would go looking and here are a few I found.

The trapezoidal rule is actually from calculus. A little above the geometry level, the basic idea of it would be quite understandable to a geometry student.

Another interesting one is the Mars Rover which contain the Rover's solar panels. I believe they are in the shape of a trapezoid because the panels are initially folded up against the Rover. The trapezoid shape is best for that unfolding transition.

I don't have specific info on most of the others. They're just trapezoids out in the real world.