Thursday, July 21, 2016

My Book

I might have mentioned before that I was writing a book. It is meant for high school math teachers. The best way to describe it that it might be the reply to students that ask, "Where are we ever going to use this?"

It isn't really out yet. It's supposedly being released in the fall. It is called "Math for Real Life" and is published by McFarland Publishing. The company has been great and know what their doing. It is been an interesting education for me as to how publishing works. In the contract they made clear what they would do and what I would do. Also, they let me know what things I might have input on, but that they would be making the final decisions.

For example, I wanted a little different title. They apparently didn't care for my title. I also could have input on the cover, I didn't really have any ideas on that, and they came up with something cooler than I would have ever come up with.

After I signed a contract with them I sent them my manuscript. They said there would be several months in which I wouldn't hear much from them as they prepared the book and not to get anxious and bug them. It was a little disconcerting, but I remained patient. Supposedly I'll get it back in a bit and make any final corrections and then I'm required to come up with an index.

Anyway, they've been very professional and great to work with. Its been a fun process. When its actually available, which I think will be in a couple months, I'll mention that in the blog.