Monday, July 11, 2016

Wedding Pictures

I was at a wedding this weekend. Counting parents, bridesmaids, etc. there were about 15 people during a photography session right before the ceremony. It seemed to go on and on with various combinations. I of course thought, "I wonder how many combinations there are if we do all the possibilities."

After a little thought, I figured it would be:

C(15,0) + C(15,1) + C(15,2) + C(15,3) + ... + C(15,15)

Granted, some of these would be unlikely, e.g., C(15,0), but this expression would at least figure the upper bound. Then I was told that the total could be found with 2 to the 15th power. I never knew that. If true, that is cool. I don't know if that is true, because I have not worked out the proof. I assume I would not be smart enough to do so.

I did try out a few cases to see if it worked for them.

c(2,0) + c(2,1) + c(2,2) = 1 + 2 + 1 = 4. This is equal to 2^2.

Also c(3,0) + c(3,1) + c(3,2) + c(3,3) = 1 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 8. This also happens to be 2^3.

It's looking pretty good. As I look at this, I'm seeing Pascal's Triangle. So there is another thing I wasn't previously aware of. I'm learning.

Anyway, most combinations of ways to group those 15 people was 2^15 = 32,768.