Monday, August 22, 2016

Statis Pro Baseball One Last Time

I know my blog has been a little heavy with the baseball applications. Specifically with regards to the best game ever made - Statis Pro Baseball. One more week, then I'll move on. This and other older games are great, though, for math applications because its right there in front of you. All the computer games have the statistics / mathematics hidden away in the computer program running it.

This is application is actually from a different game that I played once with a friend of mine. At the time I thought it was kind of ingenious, although I'm not sure I put a lot of thought into how they did it. Each baseball player had a card with spinner which represented statistically what you could expect from him in an at-bat.

If the first batter up was Ty Cobb, I would take his card, spin the spinner and see what he did. It might land on a colored section of card marked "Out". How did they come up with the colors on the cards anyway? Let's make Ty's situation real simple and divide it into sectors for hits and outs. For his career he 4,189 hits in 11,434 times at bat. That makes a batting average of 0.366. This means of course that he gets a hit 36.6 percent of the time which would be a sector of 36.6% of 360 degrees. This is a sector of 131.76 degrees. His chance of going out would be a different colored sector of 360 - 131.76 = 228.24 degrees.

There were more divisions than just hits and outs. Although it has been a while, I'm sure there were singles, doubles, triples, home runs, outs, and walks at least. To build the circle would mean finding percentages, changing them to degrees of a circle, dividing up the circle, and coloring and labeling the sectors. (The picture is not what the spinner looked like, obviously, but that's the idea.)

Whoever came up with it, I thought it was a pretty good game. It also didn't last, but that's the way it goes, I guess.

So, this isn't a high level math application, obviously, but I think an interesting one, and it reviews, protractor use, percentages, and circles.